Saturday 7 July 2012

Day 6 - no sugar


WITHOUT SUGAR, how you doing? As you can see, the no sugar is getting my creative juices flowing by my food styling above ;-) ha! ha!

We are doing fabulous here. No temptation, no yearning for anything sweet and why would we when we had this for breakfast!!!!

Breakfast
Sugar free pancakes

Strawberry jam, caramelised coconut bananas, yogurt & walnuts

The kids love making their own toppings and wrapping their pancakes AKA crepes. Noah even had his mouth full and said: "I can't belie-ffff these don't have sugar Mum!!!???"

WHAT'S IN THE PANCAKE MIX? Above ingredients PLUS milk (sometimes I use buttermilk) & eggs


HOW I MAKE MY COCONUT CARAMELISED BANANAS (I use coconut butter in the frying pan)


Morning snack
left over bananas with yogurt & walnuts (this was only one banana serve)
latte


Lunch
2 fried eggs in olive oil
left over green lentil soup (from Zali's lunch) sprinkled with feta
1 tomato


Afternoon snack
chickpeas (I roasted these myself, will provide pics and post the recipe soooon!)
celery sticks


Dinner
TBA it's typically left overs/freezer meals or my pantry surprise this week (will update pics ASAP)

How is the weather your part of the world? My kids woke up this morning and thanked Jack Frost for coming to their house for a visit. It was their closest to snow experience EVER!!! If I could only bottle the joy and send it your way, it would definitely make you smile!!!

They loved it so much! Even if it was -1C degrees out there!!!

My rockstar kids Mietta, Noah and Oscar AKA Romper
(different kid from our long haired surfer dude ~ a post about that some other time)

I've been home all day trying to recoup from this tonsillitis and yes Zali took great care of her Mama while my darling Adrian took our other 3 kids down to the beach. They seem to be having fun on their bikes.....



Until tomorrow, I hope you can join me XX



11 comments :

  1. Love your pancakes Dani! Do you get the apple concentrate in health food shops as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess and yes I got it from the Health Food store as well, Melrose brand. I am currently comparing which sugars are the bad ones eg: glucose vs fructose so I'll be sharing that with you as well. I hope the weekend isn't being too tempting for you with the sweets!!! XxDani

      Delete
  2. Ick. The weather is unbearably hot stateside. I think this is our first full week of three digit weather since like the 1870s, so I'm all about cool recipes, and those fried bananas look delicious! My Jamaican MIL has been away visiting, but she returned last night and nearly died when she couldn't find any sugar or honey for her tea. I forgot what a sweet tooth Jamaicans have. I'll have to bring some back in the house for her, but so far, so good. The first day was the only "incident." Hope everyone else is doing well, too. For breakfast yesterday, we had your banana pancakes (delicious, but I f'd up the presentation). For lunch, we had fried green tomatoes, toast, and uncured, sugar-free bacon on sugarless bread. Supper included vegetarian sushi rolls (I just omitted the sugar and vinegar from the rice recipe) and coconut curry chicken with vegetables. It was pretty delish.

    The good thing about being so far away from you is that when I wake up (almost 9 am now!), you've already planned out all my meals for me. It makes it a lot easier to follow in your footsteps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you gorgeous!!!

      And how divine have your meals been. I can only imagine the heat factor. My Mum is in Serbia at the moment and she's saying it's the hottest summer they've had in years!!! Classic about your MIL, you will need to have a small reserve somewhere hidden outta sight for you in your day to day (opening the pantry door) so when visitors come over they don't freak out that you don't have honey or sugar!!!!

      Your meals sound sooooo deeeee-lish!!!! I will have to get back into my sushi making habit as it's such a fresh and easy meal to prep.

      CLASSIC about your banana pancakes!!! Told you to be gentle when flipping them ;-) all that matters is that they tasted nice, right? Have a fab weekend and stay away from that sugar babe!!! XxDani

      Delete
    2. They were absolutely delicious, but looked more like banana mash than a pancake. I only used nonstick pray in the skillet and cooked them over medium heat, but they still stuck to the pan. What do you use?

      Delete
    3. Magic!!!!! Patience and a lot of love........

      The other option I have up my sleeve is the spray can as well with a good nonstick fry pan (you know the one that really doesn't need oil to be able to cook in it) but like you my banana sloppy jalopy became somewhat like a banana omelette so I carefully kind took the pan off the heat, let it set a bit and then placed it back on the heat and gently used my plastic utensil to lift the sides away a bit until it was cooked properly. Next time add a bit of flour (or blend some oats into flour) it will thicken the mixture and allow it to set a bit more.

      Delete
  3. Day 6 went smoothly. I ran 11km in the morning..Which tends to make me hungrier ALL day and then I have to fight off the sugar cravings, but I had a wholemeal muffin before running - which I noticed later had sugar! Duh! What a pain!
    I'll forgive myslef that one!
    Bircher muesli after my run
    latte
    homemade chicken minestrone soup (freexzer)
    almonds and an apple
    vege and bacon fritatta (thanks Dani!)
    popcorn

    All good really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Told it would be easy, you are doing soooo well. I hope you still have the motivation if you getaway down the beach for a couple of days next week. Be strong and all I can advise is plan! plan! plan! Those snacks and meals xxDani

      Delete
    2. Ha! Indeed I am!Just said to Rod that we will take the slowcooker and making a meal plan for entire three days!

      Delete
  4. Those pancakes and bananas look fantastic!!! I'm really inspired by your food (which is particularly helpful because I'm meal planning for the week today :-D)!
    Great blog Dani! Really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, glad you could come by xxx

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, I love it! I will reply back as soon as I can.

Much love Xx Dani