Wednesday 19 September 2012

Quinoa - KEEN WHAA????

That's how my kids pronounce it KEEN WHAA? We made a couple of dishes with the packet of quinoa we purchased (approx. $5) today and no, it's not cheap however I did make 2 meals out of the 1 packet. I have had my moments with quinoa, with it's peculiar taste however now I double and triple rinse it and cook it in either stock for savoury meals or natural fruit juice for breakfast meals. Our kids are loving it and tonight's meal got 2 plate serves.

BTW here are some gorgeous tulips I drive past every day on my way to school pick up!!! I'm loving Spring and the colours of these beautiful flowers....



Workout
Completed my FYM workout and managed to do 4 sets although I did rush the last few as we were running a bit behind with our morning routine. 

Transformation Kit workout A ~ equipment a mat and 2 DB
I felt both the renagade row and shoulder press this morning, I love doing my arms. I plan on doing my run tomorrow which I am hoping to get to bed early, so I have the energy to get up early and "actually" do it!

Breakfast
Corn flakes with bananas and walnuts



Morning snack
yogurt with fruit

Lunch
2 fried eggs with spinach feta and polenta bread



Afternoon snack
hummus dip with vegetable sticks

Quinoa what is it exactly?  Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) is a highly nutritious gluten-free grain. This ancient grain contains more protein than any other grain, with a good balance of all 8 essential amino acids, making it a good choice for vegetarians. Quinoa is also high in fibre and has a low-GI, beneficial for keeping blood sugar levels stable. Quinoa is an ideal grain for diabetics.

We enjoy it from time to time and for a change when we want to replace our typical pasta meals or mix up our morning cereals.

For some of my readers who wanted to find out how I cook my quinoa, here is my process. 

How to cook quinoa until it's light and fluffy

I thoroughly wash/rinse my quinoa. That's the key and for every cup, I cook it in boiling water (or your of choice whether cooking a savoury or sweet dish eg: stock or fruit juice) for 15 minutes, then drain and allow to absorb on a tea towel or paper towel. 


I simply then fluff it up with a fork and it's so light and fluffy to add to any dish.


Dinner
Chicken & parmesan quinoa bake



Ingredients
500g Chicken thighs
1 tin diced tomatoes
1 cup of cooked quinoa
1 onion finely diced
3 crushed garlics
Bag of spinach
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
handful of parsley
S&P
Olive oil
splash of soya sauce/balsamic vinegar
4tbs ricotta cheese
handful of mozzarella and parmesan cheese




Method
1. Heat olive oil and sauté onions with garlic, once soft and golden add chicken (season with oregano, basil, cumin S&P) allow to cook for 10 minutes, add splash of soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Cook for a further 5 minutes. 
2. Add can of tomatoes and spinach (or any other vegetables you prefer)

At this point you can serve the quinoa and chicken together as is, however our kids love the cheesy factor so I layered the casserole dish with 1/2 the quinoa/chicken mix, then sprinkled mozzarella, parmesan cheese and repeated again with the remaining quinoa/chicken mix a few tablespoons of ricotta and then the 2 cheeses. Bake for approximately 15 minutes in 200-180C degrees oven or until golden brown.

It was amazing!!!! I can't wait to have the left overs for lunch tomorrow. Until then, I hope you are going well, eating clean and keeping fit!

Xx Dani

5 comments :

  1. Hey Dani! I love quinoa! My favorite dish is to pan some squid and then add cooked quinoa to it, some chili and ready to go! Every time someone is suspicious about quinoa I make that dish for them and they love it!

    Have a good week!

    EMILIO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds so delicious Emilio!!! You'll have to share your recipe with me. Also did you get my chickpea recipe? XxDani

      Delete
  2. Your dishes always look so simple and delicious. Thank you for taking the time to show us your food, it gives me so much inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Louise, that's why I started blogging to share how simple and easy cooking is. Especially when I have 4 kids running around me!!! It makes me so happy that my journey inspires you and you too enjoy cooking!! XxDani

      Delete
  3. I've now got a lot of inspiration for my supermarket shop tomorrow! First week back eating well and feeling great, so now I can add a bit of variety to my diet! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I love it! I will reply back as soon as I can.

Much love Xx Dani