Saturday 1 March 2014

March Challenge - PUSH UPS


If this doesn't get your body moving, I don't know what will.....Check this out!





Push Up Freestylers




One of my ALL time fave songs and don't even mention the clip, it's crazy and I LOVE IT!!!! I would love to do this video clip one day, watch this space….

So here we go!!



4 week push up program 1-31st March

I am going to keep it simple so please adjust accordingly to your fitness level and reduce or increase your push up reps. Choose your preferred days. 

Week 1 

Day 1 

3
4
4
__
11

NB: Allow 90 seconds rest between sets

Day 2 

4
4
5
__
13

NB: Allow 90 seconds rest between sets

Day 3 
5
6
6
__
17

NB: Allow 2 minutes rest between sets

Total push ups for Week 1 = 41

Week 2

Day 1
7
7
7
__
21

NB: Allow 90 seconds rest between sets

Day 2
7
8
8
__
23

NB: Allow 90 seconds rest between sets

Day 3
8
8
9
__
25

NB: Allow 2 minutes rest between sets

Total push ups for Week 2 = 69

Week 3

Day 1
8
9
10
__
27

NB: Allow 90 seconds rest between sets

Day 2
10
11
12

__
33

NB: Allow 2 minutes rest between sets

Day 3
11
12
12
__
35

NB: Allow 2 minutes rest between sets

Total push ups for Week 3 = 95

Week 4

Day 1

12
13
13
__
38

NB: Allow 90 seconds rest between sets 

Day 2

13
14
13
__
40

NB: Allow 90 seconds rest between sets

Day 3

15
15
17
__
47

NB: Allow 90 seconds rest between sets

Total push ups for Week 4 = 125

Grand total push ups in 4 weeks = 330

I know this program may seem a bit light for those that are used to push ups and are doing them in their regular fitness regime but I am totally hopeless, I am never consistent and I want to try and get more than 5 mens style push ups in a row by the end of the month. I know there are many of you too that cannot do proper push ups so we can do this together. Progress not perfection remember. I will be starting on the kitchen bench incline style, incorporating female push ups on my knees and then trying mens style. It's all about challenging ourselves.

I might also add that this is in conjunction with your usual fitness program. In no way will this push up challenge make you lose weight, its simply a fun fitness challenge that we can all do together and build our upper body strength at the same time. In fact doing push ups does give you a complete body workout so I look forward to my results and hearing about yours. 

Guidelines and FAQ's


What is a push up?

You can peruse various push ups on YouTube in fact the first push up video that came up was this. I also came across Scott Colby the 6 pack abs expert who has this sensational push ups technique with a twist. 

Can I do different styles/variation of push ups?

Sure thing! By the way this YouTube clip will blow your mind so please feel free to do mens style, womens style on bended knees, inclined, decline push ups etc.... Whatever. 

What if I want to do less push ups?

We really want you to try and push up regularly throughout the week to build strength and endurance. So go at your own pace and increase your number each time you do your push ups. Also for those that just want a shorter challenge, I highly recommend you to check out SkinnyMs 7 day push up challenge

What if I want to increase my push ups?

I say GO FOR IT! The more the merrier and as my husband says BIGGER CANNONS!! So please increase your push ups to fit with your current fitness regime and challenge yourself by increasing them by 5 each time.

Can I do push ups 3 days in a row?

Freehand exercises such as push ups are great however it can lead to over training of the specific muscles being used, so there is an increased possibility of injury. Having said that since it is a relatively safe exercise, there is not too much danger but please take care if you happen to miss one day of your push up days and need to play catch up. Also technique is paramount. Like our #planksjan2013 challenge in January, it's all about posture so make sure you are doing them correctly and see yourself in a reflection to ensure you are doing them properly. 

Will I lose weight doing this 4 week push up program?

No. This isn't a weightless program, it's to assist with toning muscle definition. In order to lose unwanted body fat you must eat healthy and regularly exercise. If you would like to follow the Freeletics fitness program I do CLICK HERE or check out my Fitness transformations.

I was given great advice by Jackie a personal trainer who reviewed my program and she fully supports this program along with a permanent lifestyle change. Consistency is the key to results. 

I would love your feedback and to see your pics in social media so please use the #ffs_pushups tag and leave me your comments below.

Are you in?

♥ Dani 

35 comments :

  1. Sounds like a great challenge!
    I'm in! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!!! Looking forward to another super challenge!!! XxDani

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Simply place your email details in the register and subscribe box on the right hand side, confirm the verification email (check your spam folders) and whalla! Super excited you can join us xxDani

      Delete
  3. First challenge I'm joining! Since I do pretty well with veggies, going to challenge myself to having leafy greens every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the aim Amanda!!! Bravo!!! So glad you could join us xxDani

      Delete
  4. I love your challenges! You're such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. This is huge coming from somebody I follow everyday. Much love xxDani

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. AWESOME Alice!!! Looking forward to it!! XxDani

      Delete
  6. This is an amazing challenge for me to start with being that i cant manage to go from girl push ups to men push ups just because I am not consistent. I have always been one to start something and not finish because i get frustrated with myself when i dont see results. So i love that this can also be something "to keep me accountable". thank you so much. i will be posting pics of the challenge. I am a mental health provider and before preaching fitness i want to practice it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sensational!!! Can't wait to do this challenge with you xxDani

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a great challenge! I just recently started tracking my fitness on IG for self motivation and I will be tracking this as well! I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sensational !!!! So glad you could join us and look forward to seeing your progress on Instagram xxDani

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my dear. I'm with you!

    Susan in TN

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in!! IG @RAWKstar4life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Nat!!! Tried looking you up on IG but user not found :( glad you are joining us!!! XxDani

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Hey Shan!!!! Thanks for coming by and so glad to be doing this challenge with you xxDani

      Delete
  12. Great challenge(s), Dani! Love my push ups and my greens ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace and especially for letting me crash your part-tay!!! XxDani

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. YAY!!! So happy you could join! XXD

      PS: I can't believe you are nearly 50!!!! You look amazing!!! I hope to be the same in 10 years time!! Thanks for the inspiration xx

      Delete
  14. Hey Dani!I am excited to start this challenge today, I am just confused if I should replace a regular meal with a meal of nothing but greens? Or would like some fish with a side of steamed broccoli count for this challenge? What kind of things will you be eating for this challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Olivia, so happy you could join us!!! Simply ensure you have at least one serve of greens per day in conduction with your normal meal plan. I'll be eating the usual types of foods I make and will post them accordingly. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend xxDani

      Delete
  15. So excited that I started a day early with a healthy little salad of mixed greens, bleu cheese, walnuts, and a light balsamic vinaigrette. I even finished with two counter top push ups. What can I say? I'm a runner, not a weightlifter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! HA!!! That's gold!!! Keep up the great greens and push up work you weightlifter, you!!! XxDani

      Delete
  16. In and in! Love this! Great timing as me and the boys always do March as "Go Green" Month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!!! So glad you could join us xxDani

      Delete
  17. Thanks for the nice comment above, Dani..(but if you could see me in real life, you'd believe my 49 yrs..!)

    Ok, so I have been doing Push-ups EVERY DAY, not three days a week! As I look at the plan, I can see that I have misunderstood..(Phew! made me stronger though!) That gives me a break until Monday! WoW!

    ..still doing my greens every day though.. (and I have Push-ups in my Pump Class program for tonight!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so glad you are only doing them 3x per week. Yes always leave a rest day between workouts. If you happen to do them in your pump class then miss out on our program as you will be doubling up. Having said that, you will be stronger!!! XxDani

      Delete
  18. We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in
    our community. Your website provided us with useful
    information to work on. You have performed a formidable
    job and our whole group might be thankful to you.

    Here is my homepage - calories walking

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I love it! I will reply back as soon as I can.

Much love Xx Dani