Saturday 6 April 2013

JETSTAR come fly with me, come fly let's fly away.....or maybe not?


I love Frank Sinatra





I especially love flying, anything to do with the airport I AM THERE!! There is just something about that place that grabs me. I love seeing people welcome loved ones in their open arms, all that hugging and kissing, the farewell tears and see you soon waves, the chauffeur gentlemen holding up their passengers names (one day that will be me, not the chauffeur but the passenger being driven by the chauffeur!) and just the hustle and bustle of it all. Growing up I ALWAYS wanted to be a Flight Attendant AKA trolley dolly but the boys/men in my life never allowed me to be that high up in the sky and away on trips for too longer periods. Hmmmm...I wonder why??

Having said that, I haven't had the best experience with our friends at Jetstar recently. I had two back to back shockers!!! Waaaa? I hear you say. I didn't tell you this? Well I did tweet it!

Let me fill you in when I was away at the DP Conference in Sydney a couple of weeks ago..... 

I'll try and keep it short and sweet. Both arrival and departure times were delayed. Real bad. Especially when you need to get home to your beautiful 4 babes and gorgeous man of a husband. BUT!!! Because I LOVE the airport so much it didn't phase me, seriously I know there are some of you that loathe that place and just want to fly in and out! I get that, but I love THE AIRPORT!!! You know what the airport reminds me of???

Twitterland. Yes, mingling and chatting to random strangers across the globe! I love it!

So back to my airport saga which really wasn't a big saga to me because it made me so passionate to want to create a healthier food bar than this one.....

Sydney airport, anyone fancy a healthy treat?

Seriously? What's going on there? Don't get me wrong back in the day I would've loaded up on a couple of bags but now, I just roll my eyes and think convenience makes people more money and that's how the business world works! Hence me not wanting to work in the business world, instead for people to help them, especially when it comes to their health and their families wellbeing.

Anyways, here's my delayed flight snapshot, flight was meant to leave Sydney at 12:55pm however it decided to go at 14:30pm instead....so people are sitting around, waiting, waiting....

What to do at Sydney airport when your JetStar flight is delayed SHOPPING OF COURSE



So what did I do? I much preferred to go window shopping during that time and find some things for the kids. Oh yes, and try a little black leather/denim dress (which I didn't buy, too short!).

Anyways to top things off I find out over our DP Gala Dinner, while speaking to one of the major sponsors, Klaus who is the Exec Chairman of 1stAvailable.com.au (a new company that has been set up to make our lives so much easier so you can find and book all your healthcare appointments, from one place on your mobile or PC and even after hours! How cool is that?) telling me something about Jetstars $8.50 credit card surcharge (the funny thing is, I didn't check all these fees when I booked my flight, I just wanted to fly away....) 

But when I did the math if we were ALL going.....

That means every time I book online with Jetstar and pay by credit card (which is the only way I roll these days) I get zapped with a $8.50 surcharge per passenger per flight; 

x6 (Adrian, Dani, Noah, Oscar, Mietta & Zali) 
x 2 (return trips) 
= $102 WTH?

Jetstar are saying thank you very much to the Stevens family, for choosing to fly with us!!! Can you imagine to the rest of the Australians? That's my leather/denim dress up there that I could get with that money Jetstar. Where's the love?

Here is the love......

Jetstar drop the $8.50 credit card surcharge on our airfares in line with the new Reserve Bank ruling!



SIGN THIS PETITION OVER AT CHANGE.ORG  and let's get some spending money in our pockets while we travel huh? That's criminal that they want to charge this amount, in fact the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) recently stated "these charges are just not acceptable and should be dropped". AMEN. So sign away my friends and lets help Klaus make a stand against Jetstar. There are already 35,682 signatures which mind you the CEO is ignoring but if we reach another 14,000 signatures then Jayne Hrdlicka will have to respond to this petition. So let's make this count and forward onto your friends and family.

Come over and leave them a message on their Jetstar Facebook page here's mine!



NB: Jetstar will claim the $8.50 is not a credit card surcharge but their "service and booking" fee. Whatevs! Like that is service? We all know the drill, so let's put a stop to this. 


Fitness

3 days of exercising for me this week, 90 minutes MAX! Combined both my resistance training and leg interval workout. I'll take some pics of some of my moves to exactly show you what I've been up to. How about you? Have you been following the stand up and be rawesome leg workout programs on my blog or using your own? You can check it out here or come follow the Fit Yummy Mummy workouts I do. It's never too late to start.

Food 

It's been a tough week and to be honest I think I buckled after Day 2 or 3 with being 100% fully raw? It's like asking a smoker to quit cigarettes for 30 days. I know it's doable (all this cold turkey stuff) but some people are different and I am one of these people.

I was constantly tired and felt light headed, dizzy and just lacked energy. Mind you I didn't prep myself or YOU enough, to get our meals prepared and that is what I have found most challenging with going fully raw. There is a lot  more fruit and veg prep work than my ordinary way of cooking and if I don't prepare the night before the kids really can't wait for their juice or salad if I have to peel it, wash it, cut it, serve it etc.....right then and there. They want their food NOW!!!!!

Anyways this morning was a breeze as I was more prepared. So I took my morning snack with me, a large bowl of watermelon (approx. 300 calories). I am slowly learning and adapting. However I am incorporating my meat products along the way. Not too much, maybe 20% of the time. More on that on another post. Happy Saturday!!! Gotta fly.....


Watermelon snack



What are you finding most difficult throughout our STAND UP AND BE RAWESOME challenge?

XxDani


8 comments :

  1. That $102 for your family is a HUGE slug .... it's quite incredible how inexpensive the fares seem but then it's all the extra fees piled on top of one another that seem sneaky ..... and being charged a fee to actually pay for your ticket is crazy isn't it!

    Wooohoo for your rawesome - prepping the night before is such a clever habit to get into!
    Mwah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I typically plan ahead but somehow this has turned my whole world upside down. Change. That's what it is, so slowly my friend. XxDani

      BTW when you can (I know Klaus would love all us bloggers sharing this petition with all our readers) help share the love with your readers and so on...This is a disgrace on behalf of Jetstar! Why charge us a booking and service fee when we are the ones going online to book our own flights! Sneaky buggers!

      Delete
  2. Celeste Langridge6 April 2013 at 18:33

    The other week when I was at Sydney airport (also waiting 2 hours for a delayed Jetstar flight) I caved and bought a big fat bag of lollies from that candy bar. I then sat and devoured the whole lot while people watching, waiting for my flight which kept getting put back further. Needless to say, I majorly regretted that decision and felt sick for the whole flight home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it Celeste, it's like they're in partnership to sabotage your trip even more!!

      Next time you will know to pack some fruit, nuts and other healthy snacks, so you are not caught out at that Sweet Dr lolly bar EVER AGAIN!!! Thanks for stopping by my lovely friend x x x Dani

      Delete
  3. Dani, what an amazing blog! You really have a way to convey an important message. Jetstar, by the way, will go out of their way to tell you that these are "booking and service fees" and that they do not have a credit card surcharge. Go figure! These fees ONLY apply when you use your credit card to pay (although there are some options available to avoid it but they don't promote that on their site and few of us would want to or could use those options). Clearly Jetstar feel their customers are stupid and can't see these fees for what they are. They think we are all mugs.

    At least the other airlines are honest enough to call it what it is, a Credit Card Surcharge, but Jetstar's fees are more than 200% of the other airlines, 300-400% more if you end up doing 3-4 trips or more in one booking. In Jetstar's case its just another way to mislead you into believing they are a low cost airline because their advertised price seems so low. I don't get how Qantas can call it a Credit Card fee, charge $7.70 flat fee per passenger no matter how many segments, but their wholly owned subsidiary can be allowed to conduct themselves in such a misleading way. It's not Australian, and it's certainly not what we expect from what is supposed to be a respected brand in its parent.

    It is however the beginning of what I think is becoming a major plague in this country. Could you imagine if all retailers started to add these fees to your payments? Imagine your electricity bill suddenly attracting a 2-3% credit card surcharge, or maybe following Jetstar's lead and charging you 17% or more!

    That is why we all need to get behind this and demand Jetstar remove these fees, and publish true and accurate pricing for their fares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Klaus, hopefully this post will encourage others to sign the petition, as it's truly criminal we are paying for whatever they want to call it "service and booking fee" !! XxDani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now that lolly bar looks amazing, but only because I'm carb cutting this week before photos on Wednesday :/ Going to make some vegan clean eating cupcakes to celebrate the end of my competition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY babe!! Can't wait to see your before and after pics babe, keep me posted and send over the cupcake recipe when free xxx Dani

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, I love it! I will reply back as soon as I can.

Much love Xx Dani