Friday 8 February 2013

Day 8 - no added sugar

Hi. Yes. I am much better today than yesterday. Thank you for asking.

Sheesh! I haven't felt that bad in a while but I'm sure it was a combination of other things going on here. Restless nights with the warm weather and kids waking up for some water in the middle of the night. Remember we have 4, so they don't all wake up at the same time for that drink of water, it's sporadic!

New day today and guess what? NO ADDED SUGAR!!! Day 8! That's right, still going strong like you! Well done! Super proud of us all and it's so great we are all on the same road. Some of you are stronger than us (who could easily slip back and get into the sugar routine) to those that are doing this challenge for the very first time. This is huge! I don't think you realise what a superb effort you are doing!!!! BRAVO!!!! Xx


Today we made some of these fruit slush icy poles as the kids have been wanting dessert after dinner recently. So here's what we had after dinner tonight.

Sugar free icy poles


Grab whatever fruits you have and your blender and blend away!!! Set in moulds until frozen and enjoy!

Breakfast
with 1 banana and milk

Morning snack
corn things with laughing cow cheese, avocado and tomatoes 

Lunch
Tuna bean salad 
1 small tin of tuna
1/2 cup beans mix (red kidney, chick peas etc...)
1/2 cup corn
1 sliced small cucumber
squeeze of lemon

So light and very refreshing. When I don't have time to make or cook a lunch, this is my tin pantry emergency food. Simply mix all the ingredients in a bowl and enjoy! 

Afternoon snack
yogurt with strawberries and canteloup 

Dinner
Home made pizza's (this recipe always varies as I mix new ingredients each and every time)


Clean eating home made pizza's


For the base I'll crush in a garlic, sprinkle chia seeds, oregano and rosemary herbs and the base is like a herb bread which I make with wholemeal flour. For those celiac or wheat=belly bloat readers, use gluten free flour. I also need to make mention that when you do this pizza base in your fry pan, heat your grill in your oven. Once you add the toppings in the pan and the base is cooked (takes 2 minutes), all you need to do is further melt the toppings and crust under the griller (another 2-4 minutes). 

NB: you don't bake this pizza in an traditional oven style method. It's the Jamie Oliver pizza stove stop type pizza which will never make you buy take away pizza EVER AGAIN! We love it!!!

Here's an example of how I cook it on the stove top in a fry pan...... 

Healthy quick and easy pizza's 


Clean eating pizza's ready in 5 minutes!!! 



Dessert no added sugar icy poles

Also for those that read my post yesterday about sugar being the addictive drug, I later edited this post and added this great article healthy sugar alternatives. Let me know your thoughts. 

Everyone has different views, Sarah Wilson author of I QUIT SUGAR talks about it. She also makes reference to David Gillespie's SWEET POISON book, his entire family has NADA as well! I have to get that book as well to read up on all this sugar stuff. Anyone else read these books or is it just me???? 

Before I go, just a gentle reminder to.......




WE CAN DO THIS!!! See you tomorrow.

Xx Dani

11 comments :

  1. I have to say yesterday was my worst day, and a struggle. I caved and had a diet soda at McDonalds - but NO food. I was hoping for a nice salad at an Italian place, but the kids trumped that idea. I had nothing prepared to take on the road. Sports all day,dinner was no Bueno. I had a Chibatta stick toasted with butter. UGH. Starting fresh today, Blizzard is on it's way in and I stocked up on healthy snacks. STAY STRONG! Almost there. I want to try and continue this an only have a sweet treat occasionlly. Thanks Dani for th support. Diana S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, we have those days babe. It's all about preparation and taking our snacks so we don't get that crap stuff we normally do. You are doing so well and I am so proud of you!! Have a beautiful weekend and touch base again when you can xx Dani

      Delete
  2. Hi! The last couple of days have been really hard, mostly because I've been working a lot, and even though I've stayed strong on the "no sugar" level, I've found that my energy has disappeared! I usually do fitness, weights, cardio, nothing stops me! But not this week. This week I kinda felt weak. So I'm doing less sport and I really hope my energy will come back.
    Also I'm afraid to say I've been thinking of the food i'll be able to eat again soon, like pb, all bran cereal and soy milk! Can't really live without. Or can I?
    Maybe if I stay of sugar long enough I won't feel the need for all this.
    Anyway, I'm still loving the challenge, hope everyone is doing great!
    Olivia xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear Olivia, yes you can still enjoy those things! We have a peanut butter here in Australia that has no added salt or sugar! Have a look for one in your local grocery store, also Allbran has only 5g of sugar per serve and if this is an occasional cereal you love I don't see why you can't have it. As long as it's not daily.

      Have a great weekend and read soon xxDani

      Delete
    2. Great i'll look out for that! Sadly in France it's quite difficult to find really healthy food, but maybe on internet.
      Have a great weekend too ! Xxx Olivia

      Delete
    3. That's such a shame, you should open up a health food shop!!! :-) keep going my friend, we can do this!!! Enjoy your weekend too xxDani

      Delete
  3. Hola Dani. Another day has gone and I'm still resisting. I must say that your posts about food have helped me in some occasions. Pizza was great¡¡¡¡ Very interesting the articles about sugar, I'm learning a lot. I agree whith Olivia, I'm loving the challenge.

    Have a good day. Kisses from Spain.

    xx Vero

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola Vero!!!!!! So great to hear you are going so well, keep going and we are all here to support one another. Have a beautiful weekend my friend xxDani

      Delete
  4. hello!

    It has been really hard yesterday.. Craving for sugar for 24 hours, so I didn't have any patience with my pupils... Finish the day with less voice and today no voice at all... Yesterday I tried to leave a message on your blog but obviously it didn't work.

    Ilive in France, and as Olivia said, it's more difficult to find good and heathy products... So I feel like I can't follow any of your meals plan, which is a shame 'cause there islots of recipe thati'd love to try!!!!

    But today, I've been in a "organic" market (do we say it like that in English?!)and I was soooooo happy when I found orgaic almond butter, organic raspberries jam (without sugar yay!!!!!), and coconut flour! I also found chia seed (first time since I've read about it on LornaJane's blog), but it was too expensive, so I'll wait for that!

    I have your post eac morning when I get up so it keeps me motivated for your 14 days without sugar!
    Thank you for the challenge! I din't think I would be abble to end my dinner without sugar! :)
    Solene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so wonderful to read Solene, you are doing such an amazing job! Together we can do this and it makes me happy that my blog is helping you achieve to kick the sweet poison habit! We really need to work on the French supermarkets to import more wholesome foods and produce!!! Obviously make it affordable as well. Some people are making so much money from all these healthy foods. Stay strong and come back again my friend xxDani

      Delete
  5. Right now we all produced some of these berry slush icy posts because kids are already looking dessert soon after meal not long ago.

    fitness winkel

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I love it! I will reply back as soon as I can.

Much love Xx Dani